Clafoutis is a step-by-step recipe with a picture of making chocolate clafoutis with cherries at home. All the secrets of perfect baking, you will lick your fingers.
French cuisine is known for its elegance and delight. In addition, many dishes are very easy to prepare. Among them is one of the most popular and beloved housewives in France, the dessert “Chocolate clafoutis with cherries.” This is an unusual French dessert, which is made from pancake batter and when done, it resembles a cake, pot, and mousse at the same time. The recipe perfectly combines easy preparation and a supply of ingredients found in almost every kitchen. Anyone who wants to learn how to bake is advised to start with this recipe and start cooking now. But despite the basic preparation, clafoutis still has its own secrets that I will gladly share below in a step-by-step recipe.
What do Chocolate Clafoutiswith cherries taste like?
Such a dessert can be prepared at any time of the year, both from fresh berries at the height of the season, and from frozen fruit. By the way, the berries are very relevant here; they give their chocolate base their acidity, which is, by the way, not too sweet. The sweetness is perfect for afternoon tea at a family party. And also dessert will help “when unexpected guests are at the door.” It is easy to prepare and looks bright and festive. The cake is very soft and the chocolate dough, together with the cherries, turns out to be truly magical. The main product is to allow time to cool completely.
- Caloric content per 100 g – 285 kcal.
- Dosage – 1
- Cooking time – 1 hour and 15 minutes
- Eggs – 2 pcs.
- Drinking water – 150 ml
- Cherries – 150 g
- chocolate – 3 tablespoons
- Salt – pinch
- Lifting powder – 1 tsp.
- Sugar – 100 g
- Wheat – 100 g
- Vanilla sugar – 1 tsp.
- Cognac – 1 tablespoon (optional)
Step-by-step preparation of chocolate clafoutis with cherries
- Wash the eggs with cold running water, break the shells and pour the contents into a container. Whisk until smooth with a mixer on medium speed or with a ladle. It is not necessary to whip them in a strong foam, it is only enough to obtain a homogeneous mass.
- Pour drinking water at room temperature into the egg mass and stir again. Instead of water, you can use milk; the cakes will be even tastier. By the way, according to the classic recipe, it is milk.
- Add cognac. It will give the chocolate-baked spice flavor, make the cake more beautiful and the product will bake better. Do not be afraid to add alcohol, as the alcohol evaporates during baking and the dough becomes saturated with air and becomes hairier.
- Then add chocolate to the liquid bottom and mix well until smooth. You can exchange it for 2 tablespoons. Melted cocoa powder or a bar of dark chocolate in a water bath. Precisely because as a chocolate supplement I have chocolate, which contains dairy products, I took water. If you are preparing a cake with cocoa or chocolate cream, be sure to take milk.
- Combine dry food: flour, vanilla sugar, and baking powder. Part of the flour can be replaced by crushed almond flour. Add the taste of the delicacy 1 tsp. confectionery spices: cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg.
- Sift the dry mass formed through a sieve to enrich the flour with oxygen and add it to the liquid bottom. Whisk well to break up crumbs. The dough should be smooth and liquid, as for thin pancakes, but not as for pancakes.
- Then add sugar and stir again. Change the amount of sugar at will. It can be used in both white and brown. You can even substitute for cherry or chocolate syrup.
- Continue with cherries. Use fresh berries in season – they are more juicy and fragrant. Wash cherries with cold running water and dry with a towel or paper towel. One of the main secrets of true French clafoutis is to use all the cherry fruit, that is, with the stone. The explanation was simple: the dessert dough was so liquid and tender that in order to bake it was necessary to avoid excess moisture, which would surely seep into it from juicy cherries if their shell broke. Cherry juice would spread over the dough and prevent it from baking simply. As a result, the cake would be too soft and runny. But I recommend removing the seeds, especially if you are preparing a dessert for young children. This can be done manually, simply by squeezing the bones out or using a special device to remove them. Just wipe them well with a paper towel. And if you still leave the bones in the baking, warn all eaters of this.
Also, not only are sour cherries perfect for clafoutis, which cannot be tasted. Sweet cherries are often used in the recipe. It is meaty and sweeter, its fruits are larger and juicier, and they can be not only red but even brown and yellow. This will enliven the look of the dessert very nicely.
In winter, replace fresh berries with ice cream. Thaw frozen fruit beforehand and drain the resulting water. Canned berries are also suitable. Turn them on a sieve to drain all the juice and wipe with a paper towel.
So when the berries are ready, take a baking tin and brush it with a thin layer of butter or vegetable oil. Or line it with baking paper and oil well. The form can be ceramic, glass, clay, or anything else that can be put in the oven. For the specified amount of product, I took a small square shape about 20×20 cm in size. You can also cook cakes in portions. Small clay containers are suitable for serving in portions, where the dessert can be served beautifully on the table.
Put the cherries in the prepared form and spread them evenly over the whole bottom. Sprinkle them with citrus vanilla or freshly grated rind, if desired.
Also in the recipe, experiments are possible using other berries. Indeed, as a filling for clafoutis, suitable not only for cherries and cherries but also for other berries: apricots, plums, blackberries, blueberries, and strawberries. If desired, you can caramelize the fruit before filling it with sugar in a pan over low heat. The juice will be sealed in the berries, the taste will be richer and the texture of the product will be more interesting.
- Pour the dough over the fruit. The top of the berries can be seen on the dough. This will only make the dessert more beautiful and delicious. Send the chocolate clafoutis with cherries to bake in a preheated oven at 190 degrees. The baking time depends on the oven, but on average a large dessert is baked in one form for about an hour, in a serving container – 30 minutes. The product should brown and bake well. Check if the baking is ready with a wooden stick. Punch it in the highest place and make sure it comes out dry. The main thing is not to fall into the cherry, because it will be juicy.
Only remove the finished cake from the mold after cooling, as when it is hot it is fragile and may break. Sprinkle icing sugar on clafoutis chocolate with cherries and serve.